Wednesday, April 11, 2012

After the decision...

So, the decision had been made, I was going to start my search.  I had no idea where to start.  I talked to my mom and asked her who they went through for the adoption.  She told me social services.  I was a bit relieved to know that because I have heard many stories of christian agencies that were used and the adoptee can not retrieve their information. 

I called the local social services here in town and thought I would start there and they should be able to tell me what steps I need to take to get the information I am looking for.  She was very nice and very helpful.  She told me I needed to petition the court to have my records opened.  She gave contact information to the state capital and the division I needed to contact for those papers.  I contacted them and they said they would send me the papers I needed.

It seemed like forever to get here and when they finally did I filled them out and took them to the courthouse.  Once I took them there they said they would call me when the judge had signed them.  It felt like a couple days was a week!  I finally got the call and headed back to the courthouse.  I could make copies of whatever papers I wanted out of there.  So I found some names and papers I wanted and made copies.  I scoured over the pages.  Looking for the names of the people who made me.  There they were.....right in front of me.  I had this feeling of being overwhelmed but excited.  I looked over the pages and was searching for medical history.  There was nothing there.  Then I decided I will need to open my adoption records through Social Services.  Again, it felt like a lifetime to get the papers. 

The day they came I was almost afraid to open them.  I kind of just sat there looking at it, almost waiting for the package to talk to me and say it was okay to open them.  Finally, I opened the package.  There was a huge pile of papers to look through.  Now, even though I was looking through for birth parent information I saw that they had the questionnaire form my adoptive parents filled out.  This was so cool to see.  Again, I searched for any medical information and found only what we already knew about a grandmothers sister having diabetes.  I thought this can't be it and by now there has to be more information.  So, I went to look at the other papers and again there were their names, but there was also the name I was given when I was born....Gayli Jo.  Now, I have told my adoptive mother that I was pretty glad they had changed it because I can imagine the names I would have been called.  I probably would have just gone by Jo or something.  But seeing the other name really brought out this feeling in me.  I felt like I had two identities, I like to call it dual identities.  I was one person when I was born and now like a spy I am someone else.  It really created this struggle inside of me.  I still to this day struggle a bit with it. 

I searched through the rest of the papers and as I got further in I noticed a page that said please put this in the child's file.  I went to the next page and saw a copy (a horrible copy I might add) of my birth parents marriage.  Yes, they got married.  Now some days I think this is awesome and every now and then I feel like I was the odd man out so to speak.  The only one who got 'left behind'.  It is a hard feeling to have but ultimately I am happy they are married. 

And here is where the online search begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment