Saturday, April 14, 2012

Will I Get a Return Letter?

I sent my letter Thursday, February 16, 2012 and on Wednesday,  February 22, 2012 I came home for lunch and by then the mail the had already come.  My husband pulled the mail out of the box and held a letter in the air and told me I got a letter from S.  I distinctly remember saying, "What the ****?!". 

I thought for sure it would be a couple weeks probably before I may even hear anything not less than a week!  I was almost afraid to open it terrified of what it might say.  I just was in awe that I had received a letter so quickly.  I thought it was probably a good sign it came back to quickly (maybe it was more about wishful thinking).  

I sat down and carefully yet excitedly opened the letter I had longed to receive for so long.  The first thing I read was, we stunned to hear from you and it has taken some time to process this.  I thought to myself, "it sure didn't take you very long to process".  Is that a good sign or not?!  The next thing she did was try to explain why I was given up for adoption.  I actually already knew because it gave me the reasons in my adoption papers but it was nice to hear it from her.  It was a pretty generic letter but was so very accepting of me contacting them.  At the very end of the letter she wrote their home phone number and said I could call.  I knew I was not ready for that but thought it was a wonderful feeling knowing that they were open to that and it seemed like she wanted to know me as much as I wanted to know them.  I read that letter over and over again and it stayed with me at all times.

Since then we have written back and forth several times.  She told me they have 3 sons and told me their names.  Of course, because I was a nosy stalker I already knew this and had found them all on Facebook.  But now that she had told me about them I wanted to connect with them as well.  So, in one of the letters I asked if the boys knew about me.  Well, as I suspected they did not know.  She said it was just too painful to tell them and really I get that.  The thing that told me exactly what kind of people my birth parents are is that once she got that letter from me asking this she immediately told all three of the boys.  I think that took amazing courage, love and respect after all those years to tell them straight away.  I was so excited to know they now knew and I could try to connect with them even if it is just over Facebook.

I requested an add from all three of them and one by one all three of them accepted.  Once they accepted I introduced myself and hoped they would introduce themselves back.  It took some time but I have talked on FB to each of them and now am getting to know them better.  It was wild one night I talked to my oldest brother (still getting use to saying that!) for like two hours!  It means so much to me to be able to know them all.  They are such wonderful people and I feel blessed to have not only a wonderful adoptive family but an equally wonderful birth family.

The next challenge I face was the phone call.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment